Many people ask, “What is Mocha?” Mocha is simply the combination of coffee and chocolate. There are many ways to make mocha at home, but I’m just going to give you some basic ideas that you can refine until you get it just the way you like it. When I use the term “latte”, I am referring to “with milk”. If you order a latte in a coffee shop, the milk will be steamed. It works for me to warm it up a bit in the microwave while my coffee is brewing. If you like it frothy, you can shake it in a small jar before you heat it.
Hot Mocha Drinks
- Easy Mocha Latte – One of my favorite drinks to make at home is simply to pour coffee over cocoa powder and add warm milk or whipping cream. I don’t like mine sweet but you can add your favorite sweetener if you like.
- Super Easy Mocha Latte – Place hot chocolate powder in your favorite mug, add coffee, and stir.
- Sweet & Creamy Mocha Latte – Stir chocolate syrup into coffee. Add cream and top with whipped cream if desired.
- Choco-latte – Stir chocolate milk into your coffee or espresso.
- Decadent Mocha – Use chocolate-flavored beans to make coffee, add a drop of peppermint oil and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Cold Mocha Drinks
- Iced Mocha – Start with chocolate-flavored coffee. Brew. Chill. Pour over ice.
- Creamy Mocha – Add instant coffee to chocolate milk.
- Cold Brew – Buy coffee in filter packs. Place in cup or pitcher, add water, chill overnight.
- Decadent Mocha Chiller – Add chocolate ice cream to cold coffee.
Some things you may enjoy stirring into your chosen drink are:
- A drop of peppermint oil
- Mini marshmallows
- Tiny baking chips
Here are some favorite toppings for mocha drinks:
- Whipped Cream
- Whipped Cream drizzled with chocolate syrup
- Whipped Cream topped with dark chocolate shavings (Use a sharp knife to shave bits off of a chocolate bar.)
- Mini baking chips, any flavor
- Crushed candy cane
- Frothed milk
A Few Random Tips
- Stir your drink with a candy cane
- Serve with a cinnamon stick
- Try chocolate protein powder in place of other chocolate
Other Tasty Treats
If you love all things mocha the way I do, don’t limit yourself to just mocha drinks. It’s easy to stir instant coffee or cocoa powder (or both) into your cake mix, cookie batter, brownie mix or other recipes. You may like one of these:
- Add instant coffee to instant chocolate pudding
- Add instant coffee and cocoa powder to vanilla yogurt
- Add instant coffee to chocolate frosting.
- Add cocoa powder to oatmeal.
- Add instant coffee to chocolate ice cream.
Don’t Stop Here
These are just a few ideas to get you started. As you can see, the possibilities are endless! Have fun experimenting with your own ideas!